Monday 24 September 2012

Attack The Block Review



Although I have only watched ‘Attack The Block’ only once, I find it hard to give a full opinion based on just one viewing, therefore I could have second thoughts on my initial on the film, but I will give my honest opinion on the film and what could be improved.
Firstly I thought the film would be another typical sci-fi ‘geek’ movie, but once I got into the films plot I realised that this film was very unique, to the fact that this film was created on a low budget, and in my opinion did pretty well out of the money. The props and special effects used were pretty low key but it worked as it made the film seem more realistic with lower quality explosions. This film was high in my expectations after the last success of ‘Hot Fuzz’ and ‘Shaun Of The Dead’, although it really didn’t meet the standard of this filming quality.

My first main opinions are that already the film plot is slightly off putting; by it saying ‘
A teen gang in South London defend their block from an alien invasion’. It sounds like another children’s film, when in actual fact it is for 15 years and onwards. The words should be descriptive and gripping in order for the public to want to see it instead of the film seeming extremely boring and cliché.
 
Some of the characters lines within the film that were meant to be funny, were not as although they were funny quotes they were placed in at the wrong time, therefore not engaging the audience and in fact wasting valuable lines that could have a huge impact on the film, so would not be classed as a comedy as I did not laugh throughout the film.
I also noticed that most of the lines said were very basic and weren’t well spread out or thought about throughout the writing of the film.


On a higher note, the things that I did like were the characters and the way that they were portrayed in the film; by this I mean the way they talk, and their accent. In a way it was amusing as I had not a clue on some of the slang that was said. I liked the fact that some of the characters like Alex Esmail who played ‘Pest’ was attempting to be ‘hard’, tough and cool, but in fact he is still a small boy who still can be a ‘crybaby’ at times, especially when he was attacked by the ‘alien’ and hurt his leg, he was a very over dramatic character and had a thing for the ladies, for example flirting with the nurse the group mugged Jodie Whitaker who played ‘Sam’. Whereas on the other hand the character ‘Moses’ is a very tough character and shows no emotion throughout the film but he somehow makes us feel empathy towards him. When we find out he is only fifteen that really puts into perspective of how unfortunate these boys are, especially when we see his flat and see that he lives on his own, still having got his Spider Man duvet cover, it really hit home.

To conclude my opinion to this film is not too bad, as the budget was used extremely sparingly, but the film did very well out of the budget. Although some of the effects were not up to scratch, and the costumes of the aliens weren't that great, the plot and story line was reasonable. To be honest I wouldn't watch this film in a hurry as I didn't grip onto the storyline and it didn't scare me. It wasn't funny enough to be a comedy but not scary enough to be a horror. The lines that were meant to be funny weren't humorous and for the horror side, although there was some gory scenes, they weren't gory enough to scare me. I would rate this film as a 6 out of 10 based on the effects and the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment